Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Do you hear what I hear?


Today I had the privilege of listening to someone, really listening to them. How many times do we take that skill, talent, duty for granted?  I heard the pain they were unable to express, the frustration that words could not describe and the answer they could not hear because of all of the background noise of our every day lives.

I live in a half way house, I have a roommate that, by her own admission is out of control. She is on a diversion sentence, and may be on her way to DOC. She is a self saboteur, like many women are. While listening to her today I learned that although our circumstances are different she has allowed herself to be enslaved by hers, and I have used mine as a boost out of the nightmare of the past two plus years.

I am so grateful for all of the experience of this circumstance, and know I am NOT my circumstances. It is, what it is. Although I continue to await my appeal, I am confident that the verdict will be overturned. I still hold my head high, and follow the rules and smile every chance I get.

One change is that I only give help or advice when asked. I still preface it with “Do you REALLY want the truth?”, many folks just want to hear what they want to hear, I will give my honest opinion, or keep quiet.

We are blessed to be in the service of our God and of our fellow man. I try to practice that every day. Most days I am successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment