Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Values


Values

My values stem from one simple sentence. Do What is Right- Always. I figure if I do what is right- always, then everything else will fall into place. My values, all stem from my core belief that I must always do what is right. When I was a child there was a song I learned in church; the first line is to the chorus is “Do what is Right, let the consequences follow”.[1]   I am a Christian. And I put great faith and belief in Christ’s admonishment to us “Love the Lord thy God, and love one another”. Those are the only two things he asks us to do, and likewise, doing the right thing always, falls into line with those commandments. If we love, truly love, we will do the right thing in all situations.
I haven’t always lived by this hard fast rule, and some of the consequences I have paid have borne that out and I have paid consequences that were unfavorable. As a child, my parents always said that our behavior was our choice; however the consequences that we paid for our behavior were ultimately their choice. One can imagine that I choose the much easier road, so that I could pay only favorable consequences. As it is in the criminal justice system, at least that’s what my experience shows.
 Part of doing the right thing always is to be grateful for all of the blessings, and trials that I am granted.  I know it sounds somewhat crazy, to be grateful for trials; however I have found being grateful for the hard things, has made them so much easier to endure. Let’s face it I would rather have my set of problems than anyone else’s.  A great prophet and man, Harold B. Lee on said, “Don’t be afraid of the trials of life. Sometimes when you are going through the most severe test, you will be nearer to God than ever before.”[2]
This one core value shapes my life every day. One might say it takes the guesswork out of decisions I am faced with. If I have a question, I just say what is the right thing to do? ; I find more often than not the right thing although may be a bit more difficult to accomplish and much better consequences are the result.  For example, when I met with the parole board representative, I was asked if I was guilty of the crimes for which I was being punished. I had heard that if one does not admit guilt parole would not be granted.  When asked the question, I took a deep breath and two thoughts ran through my head, if I do what is right, and say I am not guilty, I will not be granted parole. If I say I am guilty I will probably be granted parole. I looked the woman in the eye and said, “No I am not guilty”. I left the parole hearing fully expecting to be set back at least a year, and when I met with my case manager later that day, I learned I had been granted parole at my Parole Eligibility Date! So much for that Urban Myth”!
I believe that being grateful and serving others are other tenants that will guarantee success. We must be grateful for all of the situations, and gifts we are given every day. Yes, even the bad stuff. We are given trials to help us to learn lessons. I look at my incarceration as an opportunity to share my talents and my testimony with others that may not otherwise have been able to hear the message I have to deliver.  Serving others can be as simple as greeting someone with a smile, helping when help is unexpected or planning and executing a grand service project. Each random act of kindness helps to demonstrate that I want the best for everyone, and shows that my creed is just not lip service.
Society is helped by my personal code, because I give back, and make things better. Even in my trials, I have been able to ”bloom where I was planted” thus showing that I can make this old world a better place for us all. Although I have been involved with the criminal justice system for nearly five years, I do not believe it has made me harder. I believe I am much smarter, maybe a bit more reticent in trusting others and have adapted my behavior to conform to what is expected of me. I have not changed my personality, yet I have made adjustments to allow others to temporarily dictate my freedoms. That is the theory of blooming where one is planted. Make the best of each situation and leave it a little better than how you found it.


[1] LDS Hymnbook ©1985
 Hymn # 237 Do What is Right
Text; Anon; The Psalms Of Life Boston 1857
Music: George Kaillmark 1781-1835
[2] Harold Be Lee; Master Teacher
Breck England Ensign© 2002


1 comment:

  1. WOW Pretty powerful stuff there!! As much as I would like to change some things, I think that I wouldn't because I ahve learned so much from my mistakes. Thank you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete