Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I am a felon, how can I get a job?


Susan L. Zalatan S01505620
Sociology 275-Career Development
6 June 1012

Felon Friendly Jobs

As a convicted felon the work force is often times a difficult maze to navigate. This is especially true if you have been incarcerated often of for a significant period of time. There is a stigma to the word FELON. What many people do not realize, that as a convicted felon, the price to society has been paid, and a felon’s skills, abilities, desire to succeed and attitude should be considered prior to consideration for their crime, their punishment and their status at the time of an interview.
In this economy, it’s tough enough to find a job, yet I see felons every day finding gainful, rewarding employment. Tenacity, honesty and skill development are the three keys that are important to any job search endeavor.
During my job search I to the “spaghetti at the wall” approach; I sent out 10-25 resumes from craigslist.org each day including weekends. I spent seven hours a day putting in applications; lots of shoe leather time.  From June 14, 2011 through September, I received only three interviews yet landed a nice job at a great company. So if one throws enough spaghetti at a wall something is going to stick. 
Honesty is the best policy. I have found being the one to bring up the felony conviction is helpful in clearing the air right away. Don’t wait to be asked. I even developed a felony explanation letter to attach to resumes and applications. If the advertisement specifies “background check” or No Felons, apply anyway, be up front and honest. Remember it is your example that can change the perception of felons in the workforce.
Take every opportunity you can find to develop and improve your skills. If you have only dealt drugs your whole life, look into sales, accounting or finance. Those are skills you have already developed.  If you find you have a passion in a certain area, develop that into a money making opportunity so that you can support your family and your dreams.
Recently I was laid off of that job. They claim to want me back once business picks up. To be honest with myself, I doubt I will go back. That job is not my passion, and spending 40+ hours each week at work, should be an enjoyable experience.  I AM passionate about food, and am now training to be a manager at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit. I am currently the Brand Ambassador and Catering Expert for our store. My Boss has a dream to have a whole group of restaurants, and I whole heartedly support that, and am doing everything I am capable of to make that dream come true. If he is successful, I will be as well!
Find a vocation you are passionate about, develop and hone the skills necessary to be successful, and keep throwing those noodles at the wall! This is the formula I have found to be successful; it will work for anyone, just not felons!
Here are some websites that are geared toward felon friendly jobs:
Buzzle.com- Informative, interesting articles and links to felon friendly employers.
JobRapido.com
Indeed.com
www.colorado.gov/coloradoworks






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people.. felonfriendly.net

    ReplyDelete